Regulatory Notice 12-12
SEC Approves Amendments to FINRA’s Code of Procedure
Effective Date: March 30, 2012
The SEC approved amendments to FINRA’s Code of Procedure. The amendments are procedural in nature and include the following, in addition to several more minor changes:
- allowing service of a complaint (and notices of certain expedited proceedings) on counsel when counsel agrees to accept such service;
- permitting electronic filing of papers with an adjudicator;
- requiring an attorney seeking to withdraw from a disciplinary case to file a motion before withdrawal would be approved;
- allowing hearing officers to manage the parties’ pre-hearing submissions to reduce and eliminate duplicative filings; and
- allowing counsel to the NAC to decide a procedural motion in an eligibility proceeding or an expedited proceeding.
The text of the amended rules can be found at www.finra.org/notices/12-12.
Once effective, the amended rules will apply immediately to all new and pending matters governed by FINRA’s Code of Procedure.
Questions concerning this Notice should be directed to:
- Alan Lawhead, Vice President and Director, Appellate Group, Office of General Counsel (OGC), at (202) 728-8853;
- Andrew J. Love, Associate General Counsel, OGC, at (202) 728-8281; or
- Matthew E. Vitek, Assistant General Counsel, OGC, at (202) 728-8156.