College Savings Resources
Following is a list of resources that you can use to learn about Section 529 Plans and other college savings options.
- Smart Saving for College. This publication explains the different tax-advantaged alternatives available for saving for college, detailing the advantages, disadvantages and costs of these options and listing resources families can use to obtain more information on saving for college. Print versions are available in English and en Español.
- 529 Plan Expense Analyzer Use our 529 Plan Expense Analyzer to help you compare how 529 plan fees and expenses can reduce returns.
- College Savings Calculator. Use our College Savings Calculator to estimate the amount of money you need to invest each year to ensure that you will have enough to cover your child’s college education.
- College Savings Plans Network. The National Association of State Treasurers’ College Savings Plans Network website provides information on Section 529 Plans. Their site provides links to state 529 Plan websites, information on state tax treatment and other useful information. You also can call them toll-free at (877) 277-6496.
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS website has information on tax-advantaged college savings options. Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education discusses Section 529 Plans, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts (ESAs), and savings bonds. This publication also contains information on tax credits and deductions for higher education expenses. You also can call the IRS toll-free at (800) 829-3676 to order publications.
- Bureau of Public Debt. To learn about using savings bonds for educational expenses, you should read the Bureau of Public Debt's Web page on Education Planning. The Bureau of Public Debt’s Web Site also provides information on the latest rates for Series E and Series I savings bonds and how to buy saving bonds directly from the federal government.
- FinAid. FinAid! The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid’s website provides information on financial aid.
If investors have questions about 529 Plans, please contact FINRA Investor Education at (202) 728-6964.