FINRA collaborates with international regulators to support and improve oversight of firms with global operations. Specifically, FINRA International works to:
- Facilitate cooperation and information sharing between FINRA and foreign authorities to the benefit of FINRA's regulatory and policy units;
- Ensure that FINRA has strong relationships with its key counterparts and, where needed, develop new relationships; and
- Contribute to the development of global securities regulation and policy.
To meet these goals, FINRA has entered into information-sharing memorandums of understanding (MoUs) with key foreign regulators to allow for collaboration and coordination on selected issues. Through these MoUs, FINRA can work with foreign counterparts to investigate possible instances of cross-border market abuse in a timely manner, exchange information on firms under common supervision of both regulators, and allow for coordination on supervision of firms and markets.
Additionally, FINRA International support's the organization's work in shaping regulatory policy and global norms of conduct through participation in the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO). IOSCO works through committees of subject matter experts who meet regularly to examine emerging trends including business and trading practices that pose potential threats to investor safeguards or the integrity of capital markets. FINRA works with other regulators to develop appropriate responses to these developments in published reports.
Below is a list of the regulators with whom FINRA has executed MoUs to share regulatory information and a link to the respective websites.
- Japan Securities Dealers Association (JSDA) | Memorandum of Understanding
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) | Memorandum of Understanding
- The Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) | Memorandum of Understanding
- Alberta Securities Commission | Memorandum of Understanding
- Autorité des Marchés Financiers (AMF) of Quebec | Memorandum of Understanding
- British Columbia Securities Commission | Memorandum of Understanding
- Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada | Memorandum of Understanding
- The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) | Memorandum of Understanding