Many state securities and insurance regulators do not allow financial professionals to use a designation—in particular a "senior" designation—unless it has been accredited by either the American National Standards Institute or the National Commission for Certifying Agencies.
Designations accredited by the American National Standards Institute:
Designations accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies:
- Accredited Financial Counselor - AFC
- Certified Financial Planner - CFP
- Certified Medicaid Planner - CMP
- Certified Retirement Counselor - CRC
- Certified Retirement Financial Advisor - CRFA
- Certified Senior Advisor - CSA
- Master Registered Financial Consultant - MRFC
Numerous state regulators also allow financial professionals to use a designation if the organization that offers it is on the Department of Education’s list of Accredited Agencies, and the designation does not primarily apply to sales and/or marketing.