Arbitration Fee Frequently Asked Questions

Aribtration Fees

1. I want to file an arbitration claim. What fees do I owe?

When filing a statement of claim, the claimant must pay a filing fee. The filing fee is based on the total amount of your claim including any punitive and treble damages but excluding interest, attorneys' fees, and expenses. Please see the schedule of fees in Rule 12900 of the Code of Arbitration Procedure for Customer Disputes and Rule 13900 of the Code of Arbitration Procedure for Industry Disputes.
To ensure you are paying the correct filing fee, you may use the Arbitration Filing Fee Calculator to determine the filing fee.

2. How do I pay the filing fee?

Filing fees may be paid by check or money order made payable to "FINRA Dispute Resolution" or online after you submit your claim.

Online Payment
After you submit your claim through the Arbitration Online Claim Filing System, click the "Proceed to Pay Online" button located on the tracking form to go to the online payment page. From there, you will have the option to pay using a credit card or by ACH bank transfer.

Payment by Check
If paying by check, please write on the check the name of the party filing the claim. To expedite filing, please send the check or money order along with your statement of claim or a copy of your tracking receipt if you filed your claim electronically to:

FINRA Dispute Resolution
One Liberty Plaza
165 Broadway
27th Floor
New York, NY 10006-1404

Filing fees for counterclaims, cross claims, or third party claims may also be paid by check or money order made payable to "FINRA Dispute Resolution" and should be mailed to the regional Dispute Resolution Office administering the case. Please write on the check the name of the party filing the counterclaim, cross claim or third party claim and the case number.

3. Is the filing fee refundable?

If a party notifies FINRA that the case is settled or withdrawn more than 10 calendar days before a scheduled hearing, FINRA will issue a partial refund of the filing fee, less any fees or costs owed by that party. Any refunds will be paid directly to the named parties, even if a non-party made payment on behalf of the named parties. FINRA generally issues refunds 45-60 days after the date a case is closed. Please see Rule 12900(c) and Rule 12902(e) of the Code of Arbitration Procedures for Customer Disputes and Rule 13900(c) and Rule 13902(e) of the Code of Arbitration Procedure for Industry Disputes for more information on refunds of filing fees.

FINRA will not issue a refund if it is notified that a claim is settled or withdrawn within 10 calendar days of a scheduled hearing. This will appear on your invoice as a retained filing fee.

4. When do I owe fees that were assessed during the case?

When FINRA or the arbitrators assess a fee, the FINRA Finance Department will send you an invoice. The invoice will show the fees assessed and any previous balance. The fees are due upon receipt of the invoice.

5. What is a "joint and several" fee?

A joint and several fee assessment means that each party is liable for the entire fee until the fee is paid in full. FINRA is entitled to determine which parties to invoice for joint and several fees, and, therefore, may assess all or part of the fee to any liable party.

Arbitration Invoice

1. How do I pay the amount due on the invoice?

Invoices have a detachable remittance stub. Please return the stub with your check made payable to "FINRA Dispute Resolution." Please write the invoice number on your check and mail payments to:

P.O. Box 418911
Boston, MA 02241-8911.

Please do not send payments to the regional Dispute Resolution Office.

2. If I have two invoices, do I pay both of them?

Generally, you should pay the Total Amount Due on the most current invoice, because any balance due from a previous invoice will carry over as the Balance Forward Amount.

3. What time period does the invoice cover?

An invoice represents the fee assessments in a one-week period. The date of each assessment is listed under the column, "Current Assessments." Weekly Invoices are generated only for parties that have incurred fees in that period.

4. What is a statement of account? When will I receive one?

A statement of account is a record of all transactions that have occurred in your account. Statements include all invoices, as well as payments, and any other activity. You will receive a final statement of account (with a complete listing of all your fees, credits and payments) within 45 days after FINRA closes your case. You will also receive a statement of account when there is an unpaid balance for more than 30 days.

5. My case is over and I do not owe anything. Will I receive a statement reflecting a zero balance?

Yes. FINRA will provide one statement of account after the account balance is zero.

6. May I request an additional statement?

Yes. You may request additional copies of statements from FINRA Finance Department by email or by telephone at (240) 386-5910. There is no charge for this service.

7. To whom does FINRA send the invoice and statement of account?

FINRA will mail all invoices and statements to your attorney. If you are representing yourself, FINRA will mail all invoices and statements to you.

8. Whom do I contact with questions about my invoice?

The FINRA Finance Department will answer all questions regarding balances due and payments. You may contact the FINRA Finance Department at (240) 386-5910, or by email.

Your FINRA Dispute Resolution Case Administrator will respond to all other questions regarding fee assessments.