Terminate a BD Firm Registration

Firms are able to file full or partial withdrawals of registration.

A full withdrawal terminates registration with FINRA, all other self-regulatory organizations (SROs), the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and all states/jurisdictions.

A partial withdrawal ends registration with specific states/jurisdictions and SROs, but not with the SEC and at least one SRO and jurisdiction.

When terminating your firm’s registration, remember the following.

  • Before filing Form BDW, the Uniform Request for Broker-Dealer Withdrawal, you must amend Form BD, the Uniform Application for Broker-Dealer Registration, to update any inaccurate or incomplete information. You can file an appropriate amendment online through Web CRD.
  • Firms seeking to terminate their registration must file Form BDW. This form enables a firm to withdraw its registration from FINRA and other SROs, the SEC and states/jurisdictions. You can file Form BDW electronically through Web CRD.
  • Be aware that some jurisdictions may have additional filing requirements for withdrawing a firm registration. Make sure that you contact the appropriate jurisdictions for their specific filing requirements. A directory of states/jurisdictions is available on the North American Securities Administrators Association website.

For help with forms or membership requirements, contact FINRA at (212) 858-4000 (press 5 when the automated message begins).