Skip to main content

CRD - FAQ CRD Transactions

Understanding Your FINRA Flex-Funding Account

Funding Your Flex-Funding Account

1. What is E-Bill?

E-Bill is the FINRA application to authorize electronic payment (ACH payments) directly from the firm's designated bank account to the firm's Flex-Funding Account. FINRA does not charge firms any fees for utilizing E-Bill; however, firms should verify with their banks whether their bank assesses ACH transaction fees for using E-Bill. Complete information about E-Bill can be found on the CRD Payment Methods & Addresses page. For additional answers to questions regarding E-Bill, please refer to the E-Bill User Guide.

2. How do I determine the amount needed to clear my firm's "Deficient" account status?

Log in to E-Bill. The page displays a "Projected Balance" that will include all processed, pending E-Bill transactions, and funds-deficient transactions. For additional information regarding E-Bill, please refer to the E-Bill User Guide.

3. My firm's account is showing a deficient balance. Will the registration request I submit still be accepted?

Yes, your firm will still be able to submit form filings in CRD; however, a deficient account status will prevent a registration request from being approved or an exam window from opening.

4. Where can I find a detailed monthly accounting report?

Entitled firm users should use E-Bill to retrieve data for accounting transactions that affected the Flex-Funding Account.

5. How can I find specific charges related to an individual associated with my firm?

To find specific charges related to an individual, entitled firm users should use E-Bill to review accounting transactions by CRD# or other criteria. For additional information regarding E-Bill, please refer to the E-Bill User Guide.

6. I work for a joint broker-dealer/investment adviser (BD/IA) firm. Do we have separate Flex-Funding accounts for registration requests?

No. A joint BD/IA firm has one shared Flex-Funding Account, and the system deducts transactions for BD and IA registration requests from that one account.

7. How are fees processed for Simultaneous Filing Group firms (applicable only to joint BD/IA firms)?

The Simultaneous Form Filing Program (SFG) is only available to FINRA-registered firms. The primary firm pays all FINRA fees, regardless of which SFG firm submits the filing. These fees include FINRA registration fees, exam fees, and fingerprint processing fees (if applicable). Each firm pays their own state registration fees and other non-FINRA fees.

8. How are fees processed for affiliated firms (firms not a part of a Simultaneous Filing Group)?

Each firm pays its own fees. The exception is that only the filing firm pays fees related to exams and fingerprints (if applicable).

9. For a new individual requesting an RA registration, does the System Processing Fee apply when filing the Initial Form U4?

Yes. A System Processing Fee is charged when an Initial Form U4 is processed.

10. What payment methods are available for me to fund my firm's account?

The following methods are available to fund your Flex-Funding Account, and complete instructions can be found on the CRD Payment Methods & Addresses page.

  • Electronic Payment via E-Bill
  • Wire/ACH Transfer
  • Funds Transfer
  • Check

11. What steps can a firm take to ensure prompt deposit of funds into its Flex-Funding account?

To ensure timely and accurate processing of deposits, please read the instructions provided on the CRD Payment Methods & Addresses page for the payment method you choose.

12. What is required to transfer funds between affiliated firms' accounts?

Firm users with the proper entitlement may transfer funds between affiliated firms at any time by using E-Bill. Affiliated firms are listed as affiliates on a firm's Form BD or Form ADV.