FINRA, a not-for-profit organization, is dedicated to protecting investors and safeguarding market integrity in a manner that facilitates vibrant capital markets. Authorized by Congress, FINRA works to protect America’s investors by making sure the broker-dealer industry operates fairly and honestly. We oversee more than 624,000 brokers across the country—and analyze billions of daily market events.
II. Information We May Collect and How We Collect It
FINRA collects certain information, including Personal Information, from industry participants, investors, and others who may interact with FINRA’s websites or applications. Personal Information as used in this policy is information that alone, or when combined with other information, identifies or reasonably can be used to identify you. The types of Personal Information we collect may include, but are not limited to:
- Names, dates of birth, and contact information (e.g., home and business addresses; email addresses; mobile/landline business/personal telephone numbers; etc.);
- Usernames or passwords for our Sites;
- Professional or employment-related information;
- Information related to billing and payment;
- Government-issued identification numbers (e.g., passport number, social security number);
- IP addresses;
- Internet activity or network activity related to your use of our Sites, including information from applications or forms you complete or partially complete;
- Information generated by your receiving, opening or taking action on any email we send to you; and
- Criminal record, civil litigation history, or other sensitive information.
We collect personal and other Information in various ways, including:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us,
- Automatically through your use of our sites; and
- From third-party sources required or permitted to share information with FINRA.
III. How We Use Your Information
We use your Personal Information for regulatory purposes, including, but not limited to those related to:
- FINRA membership and registration,
- Industry participant professional exams and financial services continuing education programs, including computer-based training and in-person conferences,
- The submission of Customer Complaints or Reg Tips;
- The Prevention, detection, and investigation of fraud, and
- The personalization and improvement in the usability of FINRA Sites.
Additional information about or terms that may apply to our use of your information related to a particular Site, product, or service may be separately posted on the relevant Site or contained in the terms and conditions applicable to the activity.
IV. How We Share Your Information
FINRA does not sell your personal information to third parties. Additionally, we do not disclose your Personal Information to third parties, without your consent, unless such disclosure is:
- Necessary to fulfill the purpose for which you provide it (e.g., membership renewal, event or exam registration); or
- Required or Appropriate by statute, regulation, court order or other similar legal process, or government request.
V. How We Protect Your Information
FINRA is committed to protecting your privacy and to conducting business with the highest ethical standards. We exercise commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical security measures to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, acquisition, destruction, use, modification, or disclosure. If you have questions about the security of your Personal Information, please contact us as detailed under the “Contact Information” heading below.
VI. Collection, Processing, and Storing in the United States
FINRA regulates markets, brokers, and broker-dealer firms operating in the United States. FINRA does not have a physical presence or offer for sale goods or services outside of the United States. Accordingly, FINRA’s collection, storage, and processing of data is strictly in accordance with U.S. data privacy and protection laws applicable to a U.S. not-for-profit organization. When you provide information to us through our Sites for any reason, including for the purpose of obtaining any of the products or services we offer, you acknowledge and agree to the transfer, storage, and processing of your Personal Information in the United States. U.S. Data privacy and protection laws may not provide the same level of protection for your Personal Information as the laws in your home country if you reside outside of the U.S.
VII. How Long We Retain Your Information
We retain your information, including any personal information, for as long as we need to fulfill our business purposes and comply with FINRA’s legal or regulatory requirements, including record retention requirements.
VIII. Cookies and Similar Technologies
If you access or use FINRA Sites, you consent to our (and our service providers) use of “cookies” and similar technologies (e.g., log files, pixel tags, and web beacons). Cookies and similar technological technologies are not inherently harmful, but it is important that you understand the implications to your privacy.
- Provide general analytics to improve the use and performance of FINRA websites, other web-based applications, products, and services,
- Secure user accounts, including preventing fraudulent use of login credentials, and to protect our Sites, products, and services generally, and
IX. Third-Party Links
Our Sites may contain links to other websites or services that are not owned or controlled by FINRA. Your use of these websites or services at your own risk, so we recommend that you review the privacy statements of these other websites or services when you leave one of our Sites.
We do not knowingly collect Personal Information or market to children under the age of 13.
XI. Contact Information
9509 Key West Avenue, Decoverly Building
Rockville, MD 20850.