Our compliance tools come in many forms, including templates, checklists and directories. These optional tools may assist member firms with:
- Fulfilling their regulatory obligations;
- Implementing written supervisory procedures (WSPs); and
- Tailoring their policies and procedures to reflect their size, business model and regulatory needs.
Using these tools does not guarantee compliance with, or create any safe harbor with, respect to FINRA rules, the federal securities laws or state laws, or other applicable federal or state regulatory requirements. These tools do not create any new legal or regulatory obligations for firms or other entities.
Collections of FINRA Resources
FINRA periodically reviews and updates these tools. FINRA reminds member firms to stay apprised of new or amended laws, rules and regulations, and update their WSPs and compliance programs on an ongoing basis, including by leveraging the following resources:
- FINRA Topic Pages – Overview of guidance and compliance resources for all member firms on relevant regulatory obligations.
- New Industry Risks and Threats – Member Firm Resources Page – Additional resources for member firms managing and addressing recent risks and threats that could pose harm to their business, compliance programs and investors.
- Membership Application Program (MAP) Tools Page - Information for firms applying for FINRA membership changing their existing lines of business, including completing Forms New Member Application (NMA) and Continuing Member Application (CMA).
Review these WSP Checklists to evaluate your firm’s compliance program across all relevant regulatory obligations for broker-dealers, Capital Acquisition Brokers (CABs) and Funding Portal (FPs).
- WSP Checklist for Broker-Dealers
- WSP Checklist for Capital Acquisition Brokers
- WSP Checklist for Funding Portals
Firm Operations Tools
- Core Cybersecurity Threats and Effective Controls for Small Firms
This tool helps small firms enhance their customer information protection, and cybersecurity WSPs and related controls by (1) highlighting common categories of cybersecurity threats; (2) providing a summary of core controls; and (3) listing relevant terms and additional resources.
- Cybersecurity Checklist
This checklist helps small firms establish and evaluate their data protection policies and controls.
- Firm Checklist for Compromised Accounts
This checklist includes practices and steps firms may consider if they learn that an unauthorized person may have gained access to customers’ accounts.
Anti-Money Laundering and Financial Crime
- Anti-Money Laundering Template
The template provides text examples, instructions, relevant rules, websites and other resources that help small firms develop an AML compliance program plan.
- Mapping of Disclosure Categories for FINRA Rule 4111
This category mapping table helps firms to understand FINRA Rule 4111 (Restricted Firm Obligations).
- FINRA Rule 4111 Compliance Tool Glossary
This glossary provides information regarding the Rule 4111 Compliance Tool as well as field definitions and access instructions.
- FINRA Gateway FINRA Rule 4111 Compliance Tool
This tool will provide, as they are issued, reports of: (1) the annual calculation of whether the member firm met the Preliminary Criteria for Identification, including its Preliminary Identification Metrics, as of the Evaluation Date for a given year; and (2) interim calculations as of an Evaluation Date for that given year. To access the FINRA Rule 4111 Compliance Tool, users need an account in FINRA Gateway.
- Exchange Act Rule 17a-4 Amendments Chart
The SEC amended Rule 17a-4 on October 12, 2022 to modify the requirements regarding the maintenance and preservation of electronic records, the use of third-party recordkeeping services to hold records, and the prompt production of records. This chart summarizes the most significant changes.
- Books and Records Requirements Checklist for Broker Dealers
This checklist includes some of the books and records broker-dealers are required to create and retain in accordance with Rules 17a-3 and 17a-4 under the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934. •
- Business Continuity Planning Template
This template helps small firms with fulfilling their obligations under FINRA Rule 4370 (Business Continuity Plans and Emergency Contact Information).
- Firm Renewal Report Job Aid
This job aid helps firms determine the annual renewal fees charged per registered individual as listed on the Renewals – Firm Renewal Report and Download.
Communications and Sales Tools
- Breakpoints Checklist and Worksheet
This checklist and worksheets helps firms evaluate their breakpoint compliance programs to determine whether they are capturing all relevant categories of information.
- Breakpoints Sample Written Disclosure Document
This sample document helps firms prepare a Written Disclosure Statement, which explains the availability of breakpoint discounts at the time of purchase and on a periodic basis.
- BrokerCheck Link Requirements in FINRA Rule 2210
These tools, resources and guidelines help firms satisfy the requirements of FINRA Rule 2210(d)(8) (Communications with the Public) use the BrokerCheck logo.
- New Account Application Template
This voluntary model brokerage account form helps firms evaluate and update their new account forms.
- Regulation Best Interest (Reg BI) and Form CRS Checklist
This checklist helps firms evaluate their Reg BI and Form CRS compliance programs and notes key differences between FINRA rules and Reg BI and Form CRS.
Market Integrity Tools
This resource provides firms with secure access to data and reports that help firms detect potential compliance problems.
Review the calendar for upcoming deadlines and events.
FINRA News and Notifications
Weekly Update Email Archive
Review past versions of the FINRA Weekly Update and check out our other email subscriptions, including notifications of regulatory information and updates, including new speeches, news releases, announcements and publications.
Regulatory News Feed and Email Subscription Services
Review and subscribe to all relevant news feed and email subscriptions for FINRA, SEC and other regulators.
Industry and Other External Resources
Peer-2-Peer Compliance Library
This resource shares compliance tools developed by FINRA-registered firms.
Compliance Vendor Directory
This directory allows firms to search for vendors offering compliance-related services, such as consulting and surveillance. FINRA does not endorse or recommend any vendors in CVD.
Questions about Compliance Tools
FINRA provides compliance resources to member firms. Contact FINRA Support Center at (301) 590-6500 or by email.
Requests for Interpretive Guidance
FINRA's Office of General Counsel (OGC) staff provides broker-dealers, attorneys, registered representatives, investors and other interested parties with interpretative guidance relating to FINRA’s rules. Please see Interpreting the Rules for more information.