For updates and guidance related to COVID-19 / Coronavirus, click here.
9820. Appointment of Hearing Officer and Hearing Panel
(a) As soon as practicable after the Department of Enforcement files a copy of the notice initiating a TCDO Proceeding or a PCDO Proceeding with the Office of Hearing Officers, the Chief Hearing Officer shall assign a Hearing Officer to preside over the proceeding. The Chief Hearing Officer shall appoint two Panelists to serve on a Hearing Panel with the Hearing Officer. Each Panelist shall be associated with a member of FINRA or retired therefrom. The Chief Hearing Officer shall select as a Panelist a person who:
(1) previously served on a District Committee;
(2) currently serves or previously served on a Regional Committee;
(3) previously served on the National Adjudicatory Council;
(4) previously served on a disciplinary subcommittee of the National Adjudicatory Council or the National Business Conduct Committee, including a Subcommittee, an Extended Proceeding Committee, or their predecessor subcommittees;
(5) previously served as a Director or a Governor, but does not currently serve in any of these positions; or
(6) currently serves or previously served on a committee appointed or approved by the FINRA Board, but does not serve currently on the National Adjudicatory Council or as a Director or a Governor.
(b) If at any time a Hearing Officer or Hearing Panelist determines that he or she has a conflict of interest or bias or circumstances otherwise exist where his or her fairness might reasonably be questioned, or if a Party files a motion to disqualify a Hearing Officer or Hearing Panelist, the recusal and disqualification proceeding shall be conducted in accordance with Rules 9233 and 9234, except that:
(1) a motion seeking disqualification of a Hearing Officer or Hearing Panelist must be filed no later than 5 days after the later of the events described in paragraph (b) of Rules 9233 and 9234; and
(2) the Chief Hearing Officer shall appoint a replacement Panelist using the criteria set forth in paragraph (a) of this Rule.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2018-027 eff. Aug. 3, 2018.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2018-021 eff. May 18, 2018.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2016-043 eff. Dec. 15, 2016.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2015-019 eff. Nov. 2, 2015.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2009-035 eff. July 14, 2009.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2009-034 eff. June 23, 2009.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2008-021 eff. Dec. 15, 2008.
Adopted by SR-NASD-98-80 eff. June 23, 2003.
Selected Notices: 03-35, 08-57, 15-35, 17-22.