12400. List Selection Algorithm and Arbitrator Rosters
(a) List Selection Algorithm
FINRA uses a list selection algorithm that generates, on a random basis, lists of arbitrators from FINRA's rosters of arbitrators for the selected hearing location for each proceeding. The parties will select their panel through a process of striking and ranking the arbitrators on lists generated by the list selection algorithm.
(b) Arbitrator Rosters
FINRA maintains the following roster of arbitrators:
(1) A roster of non-public arbitrators as defined in Rule 12100(t);
(2) A roster of public arbitrators as defined in Rule 12100(aa); and
(3) A roster of arbitrators who are eligible to serve as chairperson of a panel as described in paragraph (c). Arbitrators who are eligible to serve as chairperson will also be included in the roster of public arbitrators, but will only appear on one list in a case.
(c) Eligibility for Chairperson Roster
In customer disputes, chairpersons must be public arbitrators. Arbitrators are eligible for the chairperson roster if they have completed chairperson training provided by FINRA and:
(1) Have a law degree and are a member of a bar of at least one jurisdiction and have served as an arbitrator through award on at least one arbitration administered by a self-regulatory organization in which hearings were held; or
(2) Have served as an arbitrator through award on at least three arbitrations administered by a self-regulatory organization in which hearings were held.
|Amended by SR-FINRA-2022-026 eff. Sept. 15, 2022.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2019-027 eff. June 29, 2020.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2016-029 eff. April 3, 2017.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2016-033 eff. Jan. 9, 2017.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2008-021 eff. Dec. 15, 2008.
Adopted by SR-NASD-2003-158 eff. April 16, 2007.
Selected Notices: 07-07, 08-57, 17-03, 17-04, 20-11.