5250. Payments for Market Making
(a) No member or person associated with a member shall accept any payment or other consideration, directly or indirectly, from an issuer of a security, or any affiliate or promoter thereof, for publishing a quotation, acting as market maker in a security, or submitting an application in connection therewith.
(b) The provisions of paragraph (a) shall not preclude a member from accepting:
(1) payment for bona fide services, including, but not limited to, investment banking services (including underwriting compensation and fees);
(2) reimbursement of any payment for registration imposed by the SEC or state regulatory authorities and for listing of an issue of securities imposed by a self-regulatory organization; and
(3) any payment expressly provided for under the rules of a national securities exchange that are effective after being filed with, or filed with and approved by, the SEC pursuant to the requirements of the Exchange Act.
(c) For purposes of this Rule, the following terms shall have the stated meanings:
(1) "affiliate" shall have the same definition as used in Rule 5121;
(2) "promoter" means any person who founded or organized the business or enterprise of an issuer, is a director or employee of an issuer, acts or has acted as a consultant, advisor, accountant or attorney to an issuer, is the beneficial owner of any of an issuer's securities that are considered "restricted securities" under Securities Act Rule 144, or is the beneficial owner of five percent (5%) or more of the public float of any class of an issuer's securities, and any other person with a similar interest in promoting the entry of quotations or market making in an issuer's securities; and
(3) "quotation" shall mean any bid or offer at a specified price with respect to a security, or any indication of interest by a member in receiving bids or offers from others for a security, or an indication by a member that it wishes to advertise its general interest in buying or selling a particular security.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2013-020 eff. May 15, 2013.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2010-060 eff. Dec. 15, 2010.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2009-036 eff. Dec. 14, 2009.
Amended by SR-NASD-97-85 eff. Dec. 1, 1997.
Adopted by SR-NASD-97-29, eff. July 3, 1997.
Selected Notices: 75-16, 92-50, 96-83, 97-46, 09-60.
- Regulatory Notice 18-05February 06, 2018
- Regulatory Notice 17-14April 12, 2017
- Regulatory Notice 14-26June 27, 2014
- Regulatory Notice 09-60October 15, 2009