6140. Other Trading Practices
(a) No member shall execute or cause to be executed or participate in an account for which there are executed purchases of any NMS stock as defined in Rule 600(b)(47) of SEC Regulation NMS ("designated security") at successively higher prices, or sales of any such security at successively lower prices, for the purpose of creating or inducing a false, misleading or artificial appearance of activity in such security or for the purpose of unduly or improperly influencing the market price for such security or for the purpose of establishing a price which does not reflect the true state of the market in such security.
(b) No member shall, for the purpose of creating or inducing a false or misleading appearance of activity in a designated security or creating or inducing a false or misleading appearance with respect to the market in such security:
(1) execute any transaction in such security which involves no change in the beneficial ownership thereof; or
(2) enter any order or orders for the purchase of such security with the knowledge that an order or orders of substantially the same size, and at substantially the same price, for the sale of any such security, has been or will be entered by or for the same or different parties; or
(3) enter any order or orders for the sale of any such security with the knowledge that an order or orders of substantially the same size, and at substantially the same price, for the purchase of such security, has been or will be entered by or for the same or different parties.
(c) No member shall execute purchases or sales of any designated security for any account in which such member is directly or indirectly interested, which purchases or sales are excessive in view of the member's financial resources or in view of the market for such security.
(d) No member shall participate or have any interest, directly or indirectly, in the profits of a manipulative operation or knowingly manage or finance a manipulative operation.
(1) Any pool, syndicate or joint account organized or used intentionally for the purpose of unfairly influencing the market price of a designated security shall be deemed to be a manipulative operation.
(2) The solicitation of subscriptions to or the acceptance of discretionary orders from any such pool, syndicate or joint account shall be deemed to be managing a manipulative operation.
(3) The carrying on margin of a position in such securities or the advancing of credit through loans to any such pool, syndicate or joint account shall be deemed to be financing a manipulative operation.
(e) No member shall make any statement or circulate and disseminate any information concerning any designated security which such member knows or has reasonable grounds for believing is false or misleading or would improperly influence the market price of such security.
(f) No member or person associated with a member shall, directly or indirectly, hold any interest or participation in any joint account for buying or selling a designated security, unless such joint account is promptly reported to FINRA. The report should contain the following information for each account:
(1) Name of the account, with names of all participants and their respective interests in profits and losses;
(2) a statement regarding the purpose of the account;
(3) name of the member carrying and clearing the account; and
(4) a copy of any written agreement or instrument relating to the account.
(g) No member shall offer that a transaction or transactions to buy or sell a designated security will influence the closing transaction in that security.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2012-026 and SR-FINRA-2013-004 eff. March 4, 2013.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2012-027 eff. July 9, 2012.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2008-021 eff. Dec. 15, 2008.
Adopted by SR-NASD-2006-104 eff. Feb. 12, 2007.
Selected Notice: 08-57, 12-50.
- Regulatory Notice 15-09March 26, 2015
- Regulatory Notice 14-28June 30, 2014
- Regulatory Notice 12-50November 02, 2012
- Regulatory Notice 09-29June 01, 2009
- Regulatory Notice 08-68November 18, 2008