For updates and guidance related to COVID-19 / Coronavirus, click here.
9235. Hearing Officer Authority
(a) Hearing Officer Authority
The Hearing Officer shall be selected by the Chief Hearing Officer and shall have authority to do all things necessary and appropriate to discharge his or her duties. In addition to the powers exercised by all members of the Hearing Panel or, if applicable, the Extended Hearing Panel, the powers of the Hearing Officer include, but are not limited to:
(1) holding pre-hearing and other conferences and requiring the attendance at any such conference of at least one representative of each Party who has authority to negotiate the resolution of issues in controversy;
(2) regulating the course of the hearing;
(3) ordering the Parties to present oral arguments at any stage of the disciplinary proceeding;
(4) resolving any and all procedural and evidentiary matters, discovery requests, and other non-dispositive motions, subject to any limitations set forth elsewhere in the Code;
(5) reopening any hearing, upon notice to all Parties, prior to the issuance of the decision of the Hearing Panel or, if applicable, the Extended Hearing Panel;
(6) creating and maintaining the official record of the disciplinary proceeding;
(7) drafting a decision that represents the views of the majority of the Hearing Panel or, if applicable, the Extended Hearing Panel; and
(8) ruling on a motion pursuant to Rule 9285 for conditions or restrictions.
(b) Authority in the Absence of Hearing Officer
If the Hearing Officer appointed to a case is temporarily unavailable or unable for any reason to discharge his or her duties in a particular proceeding under conditions not requiring the appointment of a replacement Hearing Officer, the Chief Hearing Officer or the Deputy Chief Hearing Officer in his or her discretion may exercise the necessary authority in the same manner as if he or she had been appointed Hearing Officer in the particular proceeding.
|Amended by SR-FINRA-2020-011 eff. April 15, 2021.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2008-021 eff. Dec. 15, 2008.
Amended by SR-NASD-97-81 eff. Jan. 16, 1998.
Adopted by SR-NASD-97-28 eff. Aug. 7, 1997.
Selected Notice: 08-57, 21-09.