FINRA Governance and Transparency
In response to the March 2017 Special Notice on Engagement issued as part of FINRA360, FINRA received a number of comments and suggestions regarding the governance and transparency of the Board of Governors. These comments stated a desire for more public information regarding the Board's composition and activities. After careful review of the comments and suggestions received, FINRA took a number of actions to make more information available on its website.
"Meaningful conversation with member firms to leverage their expertise and hear their perspective on critical issues is a key part of any successful self-regulatory organization."
— Marcia E. Asquith, FINRA Executive Vice President of Board and External Relations, FINRA News Release, November 15, 2017
Summary of Actions
- Enhanced the information provided surrounding Board meetings by providing more detailed pre- and post-board meeting notifications.
- Refreshed the format of the post-meeting video update to include more direct Board participation.
- Began issuing detailed post-Board meeting press releases to increase transparency.
- Launched a new Governance page on finra.org, which includes more detailed background information on the FINRA Board, its governors and standing committees, as well as information on the FINRA Board member selection process.
- Updated the organizational chart on finra.org to better show the reporting structure at the top levels of the organization.