Skip to main content

For updates and guidance related to COVID-19 / Coronavirus, click here.

Investor Complaint Center

FINRA staff is working remotely in light of the COVID-19 situation so we strongly encourage investors who are filing complaints to do so electronically.

(Centro de Reclamo para el inversionista)

Before you proceed

  1. Contact the firm. Immediately question your broker about any transaction that you do not understand or did not authorize with your broker.  If you are not satisfied with your broker’s response, contact the firm’s branch manager or compliance department. If you lost money or there was an unauthorized trade made in your account, you should complain in writing. Retain copies of your letter and of all other related correspondence with the brokerage firm.
  2. Read our Investor Complaint BrochureIt contains information on what we will do with your complaint, your legal rights and options you have for resolving your complaint.
  3. Review our Questions to AskThere can be no assurances that any action taken by FINRA will result in a payment or return of funds or securities to you even where formal disciplinary actions are taken and sanctions imposed. Relying exclusively on the outcome of FINRA's investigation may close other avenues of redress if you wait too long to proceed. You may wish to review information on FINRA's Arbitration & Mediation Programs.
Problems Addressed
Problems Addressed
by the SEC
Problems addressed by
the Commodity Futures
Trading Commission or
the National Futures
  • Buy or sell orders
  • Brokerage firm or broker
  • Insider trading
  • Manipulation of security price
    or volume
  • Account transfer
  • 401(k), pension or retirement
  • Investment adviser/financial
  • Other: Complaints other
    than those noted in the
    sections below
See Definitions Below


Contact Us:
FINRA Investor Complaint Center
9509 Key West Avenue
Rockville, MD 20850-3329
Phone: (240) 386-HELP (4357)
Fax: (866) 397-3290

  • SEC filing or report
  • Public companies
  • Transfer agent

Contact the SEC:

Securities and Exchange Commission
Complaint Center
100 F Street, NE
Washington, DC 20549-5990

  • Commodities
  • Futures


How to File a Complaint with FINRA

  1. You can use our online complaint form.
  2. You can print out a complaint form and mail or fax it to us.

If you have a question about your investments or our rules, please contact us.  You also can forward spam or junk email recommending that you invest in a stock or other investment.

File Online Complaint

FINRA staff is working remotely in light of the COVID-19 situation so we strongly encourage investors who are filing complaints to do so electronically.

Print Complaint Form

Problems Addressed by FINRA

  • Problems with Buy or Sell Orders: Sometimes, investors have problems with buy or sell orders such as slow execution, execution at an unanticipated price or failure to execute. Other problems with buy or sell orders can also occur.
  • Problems with your Brokerage Firm or Broker: For examples of conduct that is prohibited in the securities industry, visit our Prohibited Conduct Web page.
  • What is Insider Trading? Illegal insider trading refers generally to buying or selling a security, in breach of a fiduciary duty or other relationship of trust and confidence, while in possession of material, nonpublic information about the security.
  • Problems with Manipulation of Security Price or Volume: If you believe that the price or volume of a security is being manipulated, we'd like to know about it.
  • Problems with Account Transfer: At times, investors transfer their securities accounts between brokerage firms. While the process generally runs smoothly for the vast majority of the thousands of accounts transferred each year, there are times when delays occur and investors have problems. For more information, please read Understanding the Brokerage Account Transfer Process.
  • Who Handles 401(k), Pension or Retirement Plan Problems? If your problem involves a 401(k), pension or retirement plan, be sure to contact the U.S. Department of Labor Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA). EBSA enforces the rules governing the conduct of plan managers, investment of plan money, reporting and disclosure of plan information, enforcement of the fiduciary provisions of the law, and workers' benefit rights. If your problem involves a brokerage firm serving as the administrator of your 401(k) or other retirement plan—or if it involves an individual broker who provided advice or handled transactions in your retirement plan—then you should file your complaint with FINRA.
  • Who Handles Problems with Investment Advisers and Financial Planners? Not all investment advisers and financial planners are FINRA-licensed brokers or brokerage firms. Your complaint may need to be directed to other organizations depending on who has jurisdiction over the investment adviser or financial planner.
  • Other Types of Complaints: If you are unsure of what type of complaint you have and choose to file it with FINRA, we will evaluate the complaint and may pass it on to the appropriate regulator if it is not within FINRA's jurisdiction. Forwarding your complaint to other regulators may delay the process of investigating your complaint. You may wish to contact a FINRA Office to discuss your complaint prior to completing this form to better understand which regulatory organization should address your complaint.