This rule is no longer applicable. NASD
Rule 12500 has been superseded by FINRA Rule 12500. Please consult the appropriate FINRA Rule.
The Customer Code will apply to claims filed on or after April 16, 2007. In addition, the list selection provisions of the Customer Code will apply to previously filed claims in which a list of arbitrators must be generated after April 16, 2007; in these cases, however, the claim will continue to be governed by the remaining provisions of the old Code unless all parties agree to proceed under the new Code.
(a) After the panel is appointed, the Director will schedule an Initial Prehearing Conference before the panel, except as provided in paragraph (c) of this rule.
(b) The Initial Prehearing Conference will generally be held by telephone. Unless the parties agree otherwise, the Director must notify each party of the time and place of the Initial Prehearing Conference at least 20 days before it takes place.
(c) At the Initial Prehearing Conference, the panel will set discovery, briefing, and motions deadlines, schedule subsequent hearing sessions, and address other preliminary matters. The parties may agree to forgo the Initial Prehearing Conference only if they jointly provide the Director with the following information, in writing, with additional copies for each arbitrator, before the Initial Prehearing Conference is scheduled to be held:
• A statement that the parties accept the panel;
• Whether any other prehearing conferences will be held, and if so, for each prehearing conference, a minimum of four mutually agreeable dates and times, and whether the chairperson or the full panel will preside;
• A minimum of four sets of mutually agreeable hearing dates;
• A discovery schedule;
• A list of all anticipated motions, with filing and response due dates; and
• A determination regarding whether briefs will be submitted, and, if so, the due date for the briefs and any reply briefs.