For updates and guidance related to COVID-19 / Coronavirus, click here.
6230. Transaction Reporting
This rule is no longer applicable. NASD Rule 6230 has been superseded by FINRA Rule 6730. Please consult the appropriate FINRA Rule.
(a) When and How Transactions are Reported
A member that is required to report transaction information pursuant to paragraph (b) below must report such transaction information within 15 minutes of the time of execution, except as otherwise provided below, or the transaction report will be "late." The member must transmit the report to TRACE during the hours the TRACE system is open ("TRACE system hours"), which are 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time through 6:29:59 p.m. Eastern Time. Specific trade reporting obligations during a 24-hour cycle are set forth below.
(1) Transactions Executed During TRACE System Hours
Transactions in TRACE-eligible securities executed on a business day at or after 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time through 6:29:59 p.m. Eastern Time must be reported within 15 minutes of the time of execution. If a transaction is executed on a business day less than 15 minutes before 6:30 p.m. Eastern Time, a member may report the transaction the next business day within 15 minutes after the TRACE system opens. If reporting the next business day, the member must indicate "as/of" and provide the actual transaction date.
(2) Transactions Executed At or After 6:30 P.M. Through 11:59:59 P.M. Eastern Time
Transactions in TRACE-eligible securities executed on a business day at or after 6:30 p.m. Eastern Time through 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern Time must be reported the next business day within 15 minutes after the TRACE system opens. The member must indicate "as/of" and provide the actual transaction date.
(3) Transactions Executed At or After 12:00 A.M. Through 7:59:59 A.M. Eastern Time
Transactions in TRACE-eligible securities executed on a business day at or after 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time through 7:59:59 a.m. Eastern Time must be reported the same day within 15 minutes after the TRACE system opens.
(4) Transactions Executed on a Non-Business Day
Transactions in TRACE-eligible securities executed on a Saturday, Sunday, or a federal or religious holiday on which the TRACE system is closed, at any time during that day (determined using Eastern Time), must be reported the next business day within 15 minutes after the TRACE system opens. The transaction must be reported as follows: the date of execution must be the first business day (the same day the report must be made); the execution time must be "12:01:00 a.m. Eastern Time" (stated in military time as "00:01:00"); and the modifier, "special price," must be selected. In addition, the transaction must not be designated "as/of". When the reporting method chosen provides a "special price memo" field, the member must enter the actual date and time of the transaction in the field.
(5) Members have an ongoing obligation to report transaction information promptly, accurately, and completely. The member may employ an agent for the purpose of submitting transaction information; however, the primary responsibility for the timely, accurate, and complete reporting of transaction information remains the non-delegable duty of the member obligated to report the transaction.
(6) A member may be required to report as soon as practicable to the Market Regulation Department on a paper form, the transaction information required under Rule 6230 if electronic submission into TRACE is not possible. Transactions that can be reported into TRACE, including transactions executed on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday as provided in (a)(4) above, and trades that can be submitted on the trade date or on a subsequent date on an "as/of" basis, shall not be reported on a paper form.
(b) Which Party Reports Transaction
Trade data input obligations are as follows:
(1) In transactions between two members, both members shall submit a trade report to TRACE;
(2) In transactions involving a member and a non-member, including a customer, the member shall be required to submit a trade report to TRACE.
(c) Transaction Information To Be Reported
Each TRACE trade report shall contain the following information:
(1) CUSIP number or NASD symbol;
(2) Number of bonds as required by paragraph (d) below;
(3) Price of the transaction (or the elements necessary to calculate price, which are contract amount and accrued interest) as required by paragraph (d) below;
(4) A symbol indicating whether the transaction is a buy or a sell;
(5) Date of Trade Execution(as/of trades only);
(6) Contra-party's identifier;
(7) Capacity — Principal or Agent (with riskless principal reported as principal) as required by paragraph (d) below;
(8) Time of trade execution;
(9) Reporting side executing broker as "give-up" (if any);
(10) Contra side Introducing Broker in case of "give-up" trade;
(11) Stated commission;
(12) Such trade modifiers as required by either the TRACE rules or the TRACE users guide; and
(13) The lower of yield to call or yield to maturity. A member is not required to report yield when the TRACE-eligible security is a security that is in default; a security for which the interest rate is floating; a security for which the interest rate will be or may be increased (e.g., certain "step-up bonds") or decreased (e.g., certain "step-down bonds") and the amount of increase or decrease is an unknown variable; a pay-in-kind security ("PIK"); any other security where the principal or interest to be paid is an unknown variable or is an amount that is not currently ascertainable, or any other security that the Association designates if the Association determines that reporting yield would provide inaccurate or misleading information concerning the price of, or trading in, the security.
(d) Procedures for Reporting Price, Capacity, Volume
(1) For principal transactions, report the price, which must include the mark-up or mark-down. (However, if a price field is not available, report the contract amount and the accrued interest.) For agency transactions, report the price, which must exclude the commission. (However, if a price field is not available, report the contract amount and the accrued interest.) Then, report the commission, stated in points per bond, with 1 point equal to $10.00 per bond.
(2) For agency and principal transactions, report the actual number of bonds traded, with $1,000 par value equal to 1 bond. If a bond has a par value of less than $1,000 ("baby bond") or the par value is not an even multiple of $1,000, report the fractional portion of $1,000 in decimals.
(3) For in-house cross transactions, a member must report two transactions, which are the member's purchase transaction and the member's sale transaction.
(4)(A) Special Price Modifier
If a transaction is not executed at a price that reflects the current market price, select the modifier, "special price." When the reporting method chosen provides a "special price memo" field, state why the transaction was executed at other than the current market price in the "special price memo" field (e.g., when a debt security is traded conventionally and in the current market does not have a due bill and/or a warrant attached, but in the transaction to be reported is traded with a due bill and/or warrant attached, the price of the transaction is a "special price"). Do not select the modifier, "special price," where the transaction price is determined using a weighted average price.
(B) Settlement Modifiers
If a transaction is to be settled other than the regular way, report the settlement terms by selecting the appropriate modifier. If the parties agree to settlement on the same day the transaction is executed (i.e., cash settlement), select the modifier, ".c." If a trade will be settled the next day, select the modifier, ".nd." If a trade will be settled other than on the date of trade, the next day, or T+3, select the modifier, ".sNN," and enter the appropriate number of days (e.g., if a trade will be settled in 5 business days, the reporting party will enter ".s05" in the data field).
(C) Weighted Average Price Modifier
If the price of the transaction is determined using a weighted average price method, select the modifier, ".w." If one of the settlement modifiers and the weighted average price modifier apply to the transaction, select the modifier, ".w" for weighted average price and do not report the applicable settlement modifier.
(e) Transactions Exempt From Reporting
The following types of transactions shall not be reported:
(1) Transactions that are part of a primary distribution by an issuer.
(2) Transactions in TRACE-eligible securities that are listed on a national securities exchange, when such transactions are executed on and reported to the exchange and the transaction information is disseminated publicly.
(3) Transactions where the buyer and the seller have agreed to trade at a price substantially unrelated to the current market for the TRACE-eligible security (e.g., to allow the seller to make a gift).
(4) For the duration of a two-year pilot program, effective upon the later of either: 1) approval of this rule by the Commission, or 2) execution by NASD and the New York Stock Exchange ("NYSE") of a data sharing agreement addressing data related to transactions covered by this Rule, transactions in TRACE-eligible securities that are executed on a facility of NYSE in accordance with NYSE Rules 1400 and 1401 and reported to NYSE in accordance with NYSE's applicable trade reporting rules and disseminated publicly by NYSE.
(5) Transactions resulting from the exercise or settlement of an option or a similar instrument, or the termination or settlement of a credit default swap, other type of swap, or a similar instrument.
(f) Compliance With Reporting Obligations
A pattern or practice of late reporting without exceptional circumstances may be considered conduct inconsistent with high standards of commercial honor and just and equitable principles of trade, in violation of Rule 2110.
Amended by SR-FINRA-2007-007 eff. Dec. 13, 2007.
Amended by SR-NASD-2006-110 eff. Jan. 9, 2007.
Amended by SR-NASD-2004-57 Stage 2 eff. July 1, 2005.
Amended by SR-NASD-2004-57 Stage 1 eff. Oct. 1, 2004.
Amended by SR-NASD-2003-182 eff. June 17, 2004.
Amended by SR-NASD-2003-78 eff. Oct. 1, 2003.
Amended by SR-NASD-2002-46 eff. July 1, 2002.
Amended by SR-NASD-2001-04 eff. July 1, 2002.
Adopted by SR-NASD-99-65 eff. July 1, 2002.
Selected Notices: 02-76, 03-36, 04-39, 04-51, 07-18, 07-61.