The Securities and Exchange Commission has amended Rule 15c6-1(a) to shorten the standard settlement cycle for most broker-dealer transactions from two business days after the trade date (T+2) to one business day after the trade date (T+1). To aid firms in preparing for this transition, FINRA is updating the Regulatory Extension (REX) system to enable firms to file an extension of time requests under the shortened settlement cycle.
FINRA is highlighting a recent joint Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Cybersecurity Advisory published on August 30, 2023. The Advisory complements the successful effort of the FBI and international partners to disrupt Qakbot on August 25, 2023, which included the seizure of over $8.6 million worth of crypto assets extorted from victims.
FINRA highlighted a recent Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Flash published on August 23, 2023. According to the FBI Flash, all exploited Barracuda Email Security Gateway (ESG) appliances, even those with up-to-date security patches, remain at risk for continued computer network compromise from threat actors exploiting a zero-day vulnerability documented in CVE-2023-2868.
Education and Compliance Programs
FINRA is offering five scholarships to industry professionals from small firms to attend the FINRA Institute at Georgetown Certified Regulatory and Compliance Professional (CRCP)® program. The scholarship covers full tuition for the entire CRCP program, including room and board. The Small Firm Scholarship application period is now open through September 15, 2023. For more information, including eligibility requirements, the selection process and our online application, please visit our Small Firm Scholarship web page.
Meet FINRA staff and attend panels tailored to your firm’s business model at FINRA’s Firm Grouping Conference on October 9 – 10, in Kissimmee, FL. This in-person event designed to provide FINRA member firms the opportunity to engage in conversations and discuss risk and compliance on key topics tailored to each firm grouping (Retail, Capital Markets & Investment Banking, Clearing & Carrying, Diversified and Trading & Execution). This conference also offers networking opportunities to meet with other professionals across firm segments and FINRA senior leadership including a significant presence of Member Supervision officers and senior directors. View the agenda for more information.
In-person registration and disclosure trainings return with back-to-back sessions this fall. Additional sessions have been scheduled for the popular Registration Systems Foundation In-Person Training and Disclosure Reporting In-Person Boot Camp, both of which have back-to-back sessions scheduled this fall in New York, NY and Columbus, OH.
- Registration Systems Foundation Training is a one-day training for firm compliance personnel who want to become more familiar with navigating FINRA Gateway and submitting Uniform Forms.
- The Disclosure Reporting Boot Camp includes two days of comprehensive training on disclosure reporting topics, including determining reportability and responding to FINRA disclosure letters.
Space is limited, so register early.
Week II of the 2023 FINRA Institute at Georgetown Certified Regulatory and Compliance Professional (CRCP)® Program has sold out! Register now to join the waitlist. This weeklong course, held November 12 – 17, focuses on advanced-level regulatory and compliance topics. Looking ahead? Registration is open for Week I in 2024.
Register for all of FINRA’s upcoming events:
- Virtual Registration Systems Foundation Training | Oct. 4 – 5, 2023 | Virtual
- FINRA Registration Systems Foundation In-Person Training
- Sept. 19, 2023 | 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET | New York, NY
- Oct. 17, 2023 | 8 – 5 p.m. ET | Columbus, OH
- FINRA Disclosure Reporting In-Person Boot Camp
- Sept. 20 – 21, 2023 | 8 – 5 p.m. ET | New York, NY
- Oct. 18 – 19, 2023 | 8 – 5 p.m. ET | Columbus, OH
- Firm Grouping Conference | Oct. 9 – 10, 2023 | Kissimmee, FL | In-Person Only
- Small Firm Conference | Oct. 25 – 26, 2023 | Santa Monica, CA | Hybrid Event
- Diversity Leadership Summit | Oct. 31 – Nov. 2, 2023 | Virtual Event
- FINRA Institute at Georgetown Certified Regulatory and Compliance Professional® Program | Washington, DC
- Week II | Nov. 12 – 17, 2023 – Waitlist Available
- Week I | July 14 – 19, 2024
- 2024 Annual Conference | May 14 – 16 | Washington, DC | Hybrid Event