We are conducting a comprehensive self-evaluation and organizational improvement initiative called FINRA360. The objective of this effort, which CEO Robert Cook launched in early 2017, is to ensure that FINRA is operating as the most effective self-regulatory organization (SRO) it can be, working to protect investors and promote market integrity in a manner that supports strong and vibrant capital markets.
ON THIS PAGE
Since assuming his role in August 2016, FINRA President and CEO Robert Cook has heard extensively—as part of an ongoing listening tour—from member firms, investors, investor advocates, regulators, trade associations and FINRA employees, among other stakeholders, about what FINRA is doing well and what it could be doing better. FINRA360 provides a framework to address this feedback received from inside and outside the organization. In addition, FINRA360 is intended to ensure that FINRA is committed to continuous improvement.
It has been 10 years since FINRA was formed from the merger of NASD and NYSE Regulation. During that time, FINRA’s member firms and the markets in which they operate have changed significantly. FINRA, too, has made many substantial and innovative changes in a number of areas, but until now has not conducted a comprehensive, organization-wide self-assessment and improvement initiative. With Robert Cook’s arrival, and with fresh input from his ongoing listening tour, now is the right time to ensure that FINRA is optimally organized and managed as an SRO to achieve its mission of investor protection and market integrity for the next 10 years and beyond.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What areas are being reviewed as part of FINRA360?
FINRA360 is examining a broad range of topics, including:
- the organization and operation of FINRA’s regulatory functions, including whether they are optimal for sharing information and establishing consistent standards across FINRA;
- the use of data and technology throughout FINRA, including how they can best support efficient decision and policy-making; and,
- the tools and metrics used to assess outcomes and success across FINRA’s various regulatory programs and support functions.
How is FINRA organizing this initiative?
FINRA has formed a Project Management Office to map out and implement the work of this project. The Project Management Office has launched a number of work streams on specific topics, each of which integrates subject matter experts and other resources from across FINRA. All work associated with FINRA360 is supervised by senior management and will be periodically reviewed by FINRA’s Board of Governors.
What is the timeline for FINRA360?
While FINRA360 will produce some changes in the near term, it is not a one-off project. Instead, it is a multiyear initiative focused on creating an organization that is committed to continuous improvement. Changes will be implemented in phases, rather than waiting until all areas of inquiry have been fully addressed. Working this way opens FINRA to new ideas and different perspectives about how the organization can better achieve its mission.
How is the Special Notice on Engagement Activities issued on March 21, 2017, related to FINRA360?
The Special Notice is a key part of the FINRA360 initiative. To be fully effective in pursuing its mission of investor protection and market integrity, FINRA needs to engage on a regular basis with its member firms, investors and other market participants. Therefore, as FINRA undertakes a comprehensive assessment of its operations, a good place to start is to look at its various programs for engaging with members and other stakeholders and to determine whether there are opportunities for improvement. The Special Notice describes the importance of effective engagement, summarizes FINRA’s current engagement programs, and solicits comments on how these programs might be improved.
- Board of Governors MeetingMarch 15, 2023
- Board of Governors MeetingDecember 21, 2022
- Board of Governors MeetingSeptember 28, 2022
- Board of Governors MeetingJuly 12, 2022
- Board of Governors MeetingMay 20, 2022
- Board of Governors MeetingMarch 16, 2022
- Board of Governors MeetingDecember 08, 2021
- Board of Governors MeetingSeptember 29, 2021
- Board of Governors MeetingJuly 20, 2021
- Board of Governors MeetingMay 26, 2021
- Board of Governors MeetingMarch 10, 2021
- Board of Governors MeetingDecember 09, 2020
- Board of Governors MeetingSeptember 18, 2020
- Board of Governors MeetingJune 17, 2020
- Board of Governors MeetingMarch 18, 2020
- Board of Governors MeetingDecember 13, 2019
- Board of Governors MeetingOctober 03, 2019
- News ReleaseOctober 03, 2019
- News ReleaseMay 14, 2019
- News ReleaseMay 14, 2019
- Board of Governors MeetingDecember 21, 2018
- GuidanceDecember 07, 2018
- News ReleaseDecember 07, 2018
- News ReleaseOctober 05, 2018
- News ReleaseOctober 01, 2018
- News ReleaseAugust 09, 2018
- News ReleaseJuly 30, 2018
- News ReleaseJuly 26, 2018
- News ReleaseJuly 25, 2018
- Get InvolvedJuly 25, 2018
- Board of Governors MeetingMay 17, 2018
- News ReleaseApril 24, 2018
- Report / StudyApril 24, 2018
- News ReleaseFebruary 01, 2018
- Get InvolvedFebruary 01, 2018Special Notice – 2/1/18
2018 Involvement and Election Process Overview
- News ReleaseJanuary 22, 2018
- News ReleaseJanuary 18, 2018
- FINRA's Financial Guiding PrinciplesJanuary 18, 2018
- News ReleaseJanuary 08, 2018
- News ReleaseDecember 20, 2017
- Board of Governors MeetingDecember 20, 2017
- NoticeNovember 13, 2017Regulatory Notice 17-38
FINRA Requests Comment on a Proposal to Amend Rule 3110 (Supervision) to Provide Firms the Option to Conduct Remote Inspections of Offices and Locations That Meet Specified Criteria Comment Period Expires: January 12, 2018
- News ReleaseOctober 05, 2017
- Board of Governors MeetingSeptember 29, 2017
- News ReleaseJuly 26, 2017
- News ReleaseMay 31, 2017
- Speech / TestimonyMay 17, 2017
- NoticeMay 15, 2017Regulatory Notice 17-20
FINRA Requests Comment on the Effectiveness and Efficiency of Its Rules on Outside Business Activities and Private Securities Transactions
- News ReleaseMay 15, 2017
- NoticeApril 12, 2017Regulatory Notice 17-14
FINRA Requests Comment on FINRA Rules Impacting Capital Formation
- News ReleaseApril 12, 2017
- News ReleaseMarch 21, 2017
- NoticeMarch 21, 2017Special Notice – 3/21/17
FINRA Requests Comment on Potential Enhancements to Certain Engagement Programs
- News ReleaseMarch 08, 2017
- Speech / TestimonyJanuary 10, 2017