Skip to main content

Options for Investors

As an investor, you have several options for resolving your securities-related dispute. You may contact the brokerage firm involved in your securities-related dispute, file a claim in arbitration, pursue settlement through mediation, file a complaint with a securities regulator, including FINRA.

  • Talk to Your Brokerage Firm Prior to Filing a Claim
    In the event that a discrepancy or dispute arises, your first course of action should be to report the matter in writing to your broker's manager or the brokerage firm's compliance department.
  • Initiate an Arbitration
    If you are not satisfied with the brokerage firm's response or you seek monetary damages or other restitution, you may file a claim against the broker, brokerage firm or both in arbitration.
  • Initiate a Mediation
    If all parties agree, you may pursue your claims in mediation.
  • Other Options
    Even if you have pursued one or more of the actions above, you may also file a written complaint with the SEC, the FINRA Investor Complaint Center, or with your state securities regulator. You may file a tip with FINRA or with the SEC's Office of the Whistleblower, if you have evidence of illegal or unethical activity at a brokerage firm.
  • Find an Attorney or Other Legal Representation
    You may want to consider hiring an attorney to represent you during the arbitration proceedings to provide direction and advice. Even if you do not choose to hire an attorney, brokerage firms are generally represented by an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, some law schools provide legal representation through securities arbitration clinics.