Skip to main content

Arbitration Fee Frequently Asked Questions

Arbitration Fees

1. I want to file an arbitration claim. What fees do I owe?

When filing a statement of claim, the claimant must pay a filing fee. The filing fee is based on the total amount of your claim including any punitive and treble damages, but excluding interest, attorneys' fees, and expenses. Please see the schedule of fees in Rule 12900 of the Code of Arbitration Procedure for Customer Disputes and Rule 13900 of the Code of Arbitration Procedure for Industry Disputes. By signing the submission agreement, parties or their representative(s) declared that they have read the procedures and rules of FINRA relating to arbitration, and that the parties agreed to be bound by these procedures and rules.

To ensure you are paying the correct filing fee, you may use the Arbitration Filing Fee Calculator to determine the filing fee.

2. How do I pay the filing fee?

Cases filed on the Portal

All claims must be filed via the DR Portal (with the exception of pro se customer claims). If you are a pro se customer (an investor representing yourself) and you do not wish to use the DR Portal, you should file your claim and other related documents with the New York Office. The New York Office address is:

FINRA Dispute Resolution Services
200 Liberty Street
New York, NY 10281

FINRA Dispute Resolution Services will then provide you with the name of the person and the office with which you should communicate for future filings and correspondence.

For cases filed through the Party Portal, the system allows you to pay the filing fee using a credit card or by ACH bank transfer. The Automated Clearing House system is the primary electronic funds transfer network that is used to make online payments. See more information about Automated Clearing House (ACH). Most personal checking accounts with online banking access are ACH-enabled, but if you are not sure, you should contact your bank and confirm that your account is ACH-enabled. On the payment page select the "Bank Account" payment option and then enter the Bank Routing Number (also known as an ABA Number or Routing Transit Number), Checking Account Number, and the account owner's full name. The filing fees will be debited directly from your checking account when you submit your claim online. Note that if you do not submit your claim online you cannot pay the filing fee online, and if you file your claim online you must pay the filing fee online.

Non-Portal Cases

Payment by Check

Filing fees may be paid by check or money order made payable to "FINRA".

Please write on the check the name of the party filing the claim. To expedite filing, please send the check or money order along with your statement of to:

FINRA Dispute Resolution Services
Brookfield Place
200 Liberty Street
New York, NY 10281

Filing fees for counterclaims, cross claims, or third party claims may also be paid by check or money order made payable to "FINRA" and should be mailed to the regional Dispute Resolution Services Office administering the case. Please write on the check the name of the party filing the counterclaim, cross claim or third party claim and the case number.

3. Is the filing fee refundable?

If a party notifies FINRA that the case is settled or withdrawn more than 10 calendar days before a scheduled hearing, FINRA will issue a partial refund of the filing fee, less any fees or costs owed by that party. Any refunds will be paid directly to the named parties, even if a non-party made payment on behalf of the named parties. FINRA generally issues refunds 45-60 days after the date a case is closed. Please see Rule 12900(c) and Rule 12902(e) of the Code of Arbitration Procedures for Customer Disputes and Rule 13900(c) and Rule 13902(e) of the Code of Arbitration Procedure for Industry Disputes for more information on refunds of filing fees.

FINRA will not issue a refund if it is notified that a claim is settled or withdrawn within 10 calendar days of a scheduled hearing. This will appear on your invoice as a retained filing fee.

4. When do I owe fees that were assessed during the case?

When FINRA or the arbitrators assess a fee, the FINRA Finance Department will send you an invoice. The invoice will show the fees assessed during that billing cycle. The fees are due upon receipt of the invoice.

Other than filing fees and adjournment fees, the majority of arbitration fees are assessed when FINRA closes the case. Fees assessed at the conclusion of a case include hearing session fees, motion-related fees, and contested subpoena fees, among others. At the time of case closure, FINRA Dispute Resolution Services invoices all the parties for outstanding fees based on the Panel's assessment. The parties may also advise FINRA of any written agreement on the assessment of outstanding fees at the time of settlement.

5. What is a "joint and several" fee?

A joint and several fee assessment means that each party is liable for the entire fee until the fee is paid in full. FINRA is entitled to determine which parties to invoice for joint and several fees, and, therefore, may assess all or part of the fee to any liable party.

6. I am a FINRA member, but the firm was not named in this case. Why are member fees being assessed to the firm?

A member surcharge and member processing fee is assessed against each member that employed, at the time the dispute arose, an associated person who is named as a respondent in a claim, counterclaim, cross claim, or third party claim.

7. I am a FINRA member and noticed the firm was charged a Member Process Fee. However, our case settled before a hearing was held. Why is this fee being assessed to the firm?

A non-refundable process fee is assessed against each member that is a party to the arbitration at the time the parties are sent arbitrator lists. FINRA assessed this fee to you because staff generated and sent arbitrator lists to you. This fee is assessed even if no hearings are held in a case.

Arbitration Invoice

1. How do I pay the amount due on the invoice?

Checks EFTs
Mail Overnight Mail Wire & ACH
P.O. Box 418911
Boston, MA 02241-8911
Bank of America Lockbox Services
FINRA 418911
2 Morrissey Blvd
Dorchester, MA 02125
Beneficiary: FINRA
Bank Name: Bank of America
Wire ABA Number: 026009593
ACH ABA Number: 054001204
FINRA Account Number: 226005684771
Reference Number: Invoice Number
Additional Payment Options
E-Bill Credit Card
Members may access and pay invoices via E-Bill, through Firm Gateway. For more information on E-Bill, please visit: Please call our Accounts Recievable department at (240) 386-5910 to determine if the balance may be paid via Credit Card and to recieve an approved Authorization Form.

Please do not send payments to the regional FINRA Dispute Resolution Services office.

2. If I have two invoices, do I pay both?

Yes. The invoices do not reflect a current outstanding balance, but rather contain only fees assessed during the billing cycle of the invoice. They do not include information about fees incurred or payments made in any prior month.

3. What time period does the invoice cover?

An invoice reflects the fees incurred during the billing cycle of the invoice, it does not account for fees incurred or payments made in any prior period.

4. What is a Statement of Account and when will I receive one?

A statement of account is a record of all transactions that have occurred on your account. Statements include all invoices, as well as payments, and any other activity. You will receive a Statement of Account (with a complete listing of all your fees, credits and payments) within 30 days after FINRA closes your case. You will also receive a Statement of Account when there is an unpaid balance for more than 30 days. Parties can request a Statement of Account at any time during the case. Requests should be emailed.

5. When can I expect my refund?

Refunds are issued approximately 45-60 days after FINRA closes your case. Refunds are made payable to the named parties, but are mailed to counsel of record, if applicable.

6. May I request an additional statement?

Yes. You may request additional copies of statements from FINRA Finance Department. Requests can be emailed or made by telephone at (240) 386-5992. There is no charge for this service.

7. To whom does FINRA send the invoice and statement of account?

FINRA will mail all invoices and statements to your attorney. If you are representing yourself, FINRA will mail all invoices and statements to you.

8. Whom do I contact with questions about my invoice?

Your FINRA Dispute Resolution Services Case Administrator will respond to all questions regarding fee assessments.

The FINRA Finance Department will answer all questions regarding balances due and payments. You may contact FINRA’s Finance Department at (240) 386-5992, or by email.

Your FINRA Office of Dispute Resolution Case Administrator will respond to all other questions regarding fee assessments.

9. What can I do if I am unable to pay the balance due?

Please contact the FINRA Finance Department at (240) 386-5992, or by email to review your options. Those who are unable to pay the balance in full may request a payment plan. Additionally, Investors and Associated Persons may request a financial hardship waiver. View more information about financial hardship waiver requests.